Sunday, May 31, 2015

Paris

Stade Jean-Bouin, Pen & watercolour, A5 sketchbook. ©Sue Pownall 2015
Love this sign at the entrance to Roland Garros.
This year, I was fortunate to get a ticket for Roland Garros and last Wednesday saw me dropping my assistant at her sitter and me catching a plane to Paris. Friends live near the stadium, overlooking the Stade Jean Bouin, the home of Paris rugby. It was the subject of my pre-breakfast sketch before going to Roland Garros.

I had a ticket for the centre court and Goerges & Wozniacki were playing as I took my seat. I'm not so keen on ladies tennis, so took the opportunity to try and capture the movement of their serves using my multi-coloured pencil. Unfortunately, I pressed very lightly and cannot get a copy to share. Next, having realised you could see the Eiffel Tower from my seat, I then sketched the stand and view. I drew directly in ink and then added the watercolour.

Roland Garros center court Philippe Chatrier ©Sue Pownal
After that, I didn't do any more sketching as the tennis was too exciting: Rafa Nadal V Almagro, Murray V Sousa, and on court 7, Ferrer V Gimeno-Traver.

Ferrer serves. ©Sue Pownall
However, the next day I arrived at the metro about 15 minutes early, so did a quick last sketch before heading to the airport. 
Commuters at Port d'Auteuil: metro & bus.
Now the question is: Where to next?